Once you have decided to continue, payments are made to two organizations, San Jose Dojo and our national organization, Shotokan Karate of America (SKA).
If you cannot pay your dues and fees on time, talk to an instructor. Alternatives are available.
San Jose Dojo Fees
Dojo fees are due the first day of each quarter (each quarterly session lasts three months).
Second family member receives 50% discount on San Jose Dojo fees.
To encourage new students to join anytime:
- If San Jose Dojo’s karate is not to your liking, you may choose to leave. There are no hard feelings and no fees.
- New members who decide to continue and join mid-quarter will pay a prorated weekly fee.1
Proceeds pay for:
- Renting our space
- But not instructor salaries–instructors volunteer their time and earn $0.00 for leading and teaching
Dojo fees payable to Johnny Martin.
Before making your first practice you will need to sign the San Jose Dojo’s liability waiver and photo waiver.
If you cannot afford the dojo fees, please contact an instructor. Scholarships and partial scholarships may be arranged per instructors' discretion and judgment. For example, if you are financially unable but can provide volunteer help to Yu-Ai Kai, this would be an option.
Shortly after joining San Jose Dojo, you will need to become an SKA member. You must obtain approval to join SKA from an instructor who will provide you with an SKA membership form. You are responsible for mailing the form and fees to SKA headquarters.
As of 2021, new SKA members pay $75 for their first year and receive:
- Student guide,
- Membership card,
- Access to members-only area of SKA’s website,
- Opportunity to be ranked at kyu tests (white and brown belt ranking), and many other benefits
No fees for:
- Grading/Raking. There are NO grading fees for kyu tests and NO dan test (black belt test) fees. All grading/ranking is included with your membership.
- Belts. Black belts and certificates are included with your membership; no additional fees.
- Uniforms, Clothing Items. You shop for your own uniform. There are no clothing surcharge fees and (other than those stylish $5 SKA tiger patches, we do not require nor encourage you to buy anything from us or the SKA store.
Memberships in our national organization renew at the beginning of each year. Please make every effort to renew your SKA membership promptly.
- The prorated initial fee discount is computed as follows. At the next first day of the quarter, the student pays for a full quarter plus weekly prorated for all weeks previously in attendance.